Friday, September 26, 2014

The power of YOU! by Jordan, Lima Life Teen Core Team Member



When assigned to write a blog for Lifeteen, I struggled to decide what to write.  I feel like it should be easy for me to think of something teenagers want to read (since I still am one myself).  I was unsure what I had to say that would be valuable to any of you.  But then I realized, the answer was right in front of me.  Let’s talk about the power of YOU!

In this day and age, it is hard for all of us to not compare ourselves to others.  We are faced with “perfection” on TV, in magazines, and in the halls at school (or we think some of those girls and guys are).  But let’s face it, we all have our flaws.  Some people are better at masking their insecurities than others, but the tactic of hiding them or flaunting them is just fine.  There is one thing we need to remember, Psalm 139:14, “I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.”  All of us were created to be the perfect us.  We are not meant to be the same.  Even though you wish you could be like me (and I know you all totally do :P), you aren’t meant for that.  You are meant to be YOU!  We all need to tap into the potential He gave us and forget about those around us, even when it is hard.

Now just because I am saying to forget about those around us doesn’t really mean to forget them.  It simply means forget comparing yourselves to them!  The people around us and the actions we take toward them can be some of the simplest actions that reap the biggest happiness.  You are all valuable and the impact that you can make is unbelievable.  A simple smile, holding the door, or even a conversation can change someone’s day entirely.  All of those things are so easy to do, yet few times do we truly do them.  When was the last time you hustled a little in the hall to catch up and talk to someone walking alone?  What did you do for that mom walking into the mall behind you that was pushing a stroller and trying to hold onto another small child?  You could make one person’s day, every day, and have a huge impact on the world.  Even if you don’t completely make their day, you may cause them to smile, and affect yet another person’s day.

I challenge you all to realize that there is value in each and every one of us.  Sometimes we forget, especially those days where we would rather throw ourselves a pity party than realize how awesome we are.  Little actions each day can show others how valuable we are, and that can totally change you attitude toward yourself.  You may no longer underestimate yourself, but know that you too can be a huge change in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment